Wondering how the Graco SlimFit 3-in-1 Convertible Car Seat compares to its competition, including other car seats within the Graco family? We help to answer your questions in our detailed review below.
The ideal car seat is safe, secure, durable, practical, comfortable, user-friendly and affordable. However, we know how time consuming and stressful it is searching for the ideal car seat due to the extensive amount of child car seats on the market. We know how precious your time is and because of this we have provided a quick summary of the Graco SlimFit 3-in-1 Convertible Car Seat:
- 3 different seating positions in the 1 car seat, including rear-facing, forward-facing and a belt-positioning booster.
- Suitable for infants, toddlers and young children.
- Crash tested to meet and exceed US safety standards.
- Features a number of adjustable features to ensure your child is comfortable and secure.
- 10-year expiration date.
- Rated highly for its sleek space-saving design and features.
Check out what we believe is the best convertible seat here.
Graco is an American brand that is recognised on an international scale for its baby products. For over 60 years Graco has been designing and manufacturing safe, user-friendly and durable infant and child products, including car seats, strollers, baby swings and high chairs.
The Graco SlimFit 3-in-1 Convertible car seat is another impressive Graco product but what makes it stand out from its competition is its space saving design and features that will solve a lot of space related issues for parents.
What Are The Key Features of the Graco SlimFit 3-in-1 Convertible Car Seat?
The Graco SlimFit includes a number of features and accessories that are designed to make daily life with kids that little bit easier. These features ensure a secure and safe but also comfortable ride for your child and below are just some that are worth mentioning.
- 3-in-1 convertible car seat, meaning there are 3 different seating positions, including:
- A rear-facing mode.
- A forward-facing mode.
- A belt-positioning booster.
- 2 rotating cup holders (can be simply rotated away for more room).
- 4 recline positions, keeping your growing child comfy!
- Suitable for children within a weight range of 5 to 100 pounds.
- Features the exclusive Graco InRight LATCH system for an easy and secure one-second installation.
- Machine-washable seat cover.
- This car seat is Graco ProtectPlus Engineered, which means the seat has been extensively crash tested to both meet and exceed US safety standards.
- 10 years of usage.
- Built-in harness storage compartment for when the harness is not in use.
- Features Graco’s Simply Safe Adjust™ Harness System.
- Steel-reinforced frame.
Will The Graco SlimFit Fit In Your Vehicle? The Specifications
- Material: steel, foam and plastic
- Total weight: 19.69 pounds
- Depth: 16.25 inches
- Width: 19.9 inches
- Height: 25.5 inches
We are happy to report that the Graco SlimFit is a car seat that will fit most standard vehicles. This is because when the cup holders have been rotated away, the Graco SlimFit becomes 10% slimmer other Graco models and smaller than the average car seat on the market.
What is really impressive about the Graco SlimFit is that it is smaller and slimmer without compromising the room and comfort provided to your child. Instead, this car seat saves you precious and much-needed room in the back seat while also making room for other car seats!
With that being said we still highly recommend taking measurements of your vehicle, specifically your back seat prior to purchasing the Graco SlimFit 3-in-1 to ensure that it will comfortably and securely fit your vehicle.
Will Your Child Fit The Graco SlimFit 3-in-1 Convertible Car Seat?
The short answer is yes!
The Graco SlimFit 3-in-1 car seat has an impressive weight range of 5 to 100 pounds, which means it will comfortably fit infants, toddlers and young children. With its large weight range and numerous seating modes this car seat can be used for the one child as they grow but can also be used for multiple children within your family.
As there are three different seating modes included in the Graco SlimFit it is great to know that many parents have praised the SlimFit 3-in-1 for how simple it is to transform the seat between all three seating modes. Here we have provided the height and weight specifications for SlimFit’s seating positions:
- Rear-facing mode: suitable for infants and toddlers within a 5 to 40-pound weight range with their head being at least 1 inch below the handle.
- Forward-facing mode: ideal for toddlers and young children weighing between 20 to 65 pounds and within a height range of 27 to 49 inches.
- Belt-positioning booster mode: perfect for young children within a weight range of 30 to 100 pounds and measuring between 38 of 57 inches in height.
The Graco SlimFit also includes a number of adjustable features to ensure a secure and comfortable ride for your little one. One of these is the Simply Safe Adjust Harness System, which enables you to adjust the harness and headrest to fit your child.
There is also a removable body support pillow, removable headrest pillow and harness strap covers. While the body support pillow is required if your child’s shoulders sit below the lowest harness setting, both the headrest pillow and harness covers are not required and can be removed if desired.
Is The Graco SlimFit Car Seat Easy Is To Setup And Install?
Overall, parents have commented on how easy and simple the Graco SlimFit is to install. This is due to Graco’s built-in features that ensure a quick, simple and secure installation.
One of these features includes Graco’s exclusive InRight LATCH system that ensures a one-second attachment with 4 recline positions. Another feature is Graco’s Simply Safe Adjust Harness System, which allows you to easily adjust the harness and headrest to keep your child comfortable.
The Graco SlimFit 3-in-1 can be installed via both your vehicle’s seat belt and the LATCH system. However, Graco recommends using their LATCH system for a better and more secure fit.
While some parents had no issues in getting a tight and secure installation, some parents did have difficulties in tightening the InRight LATCH belt. We suggest that if you come across any issues during installation to do the following:
- Utilizing your handy Graco SlimFit 3-in-1 instruction manual to follow the setup and installation steps outlined by Graco.
- Watching Graco SlimFit installation YouTube videos created by other parents.
The Graco SlimFit 3-in-1 is also rated as a ‘Best Bet Booster’ by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS). This means the Graco SlimFit provides a good belt fit for 4 to 8-year-old children in almost any car, minivan or SUV.
Graco has stated that the SlimFit is compatible with inflatable seat belts found within some Ford vehicles. However, other types of inflatable seat belts are incompatible. If you are unsure if your vehicle’s inflatable seat belt is compatible we suggest contacting Graco directly.
How Safe Is The Graco SlimFit 3-in-1 For Your Child
Safety is always a parents first priority when searching for the right car seat for their child and the Graco SlimFit is highly rated for the safety and security it provides, below are some safety highlights:
- Tested to meet and exceed US safety standards.
- Side impact tested to test the built in 5 point harness system.
- Graco ProtectPlus Engineered, meaning that it has undergone rigorous frontal, side, rear and rollover crash tests.
- Features energy-absorbing foam.
- Steel reinforced frame.
- Has been tested for extreme car interior temperatures.
- Has undergone additional testing based on the New Car Assessment Program (NCAP).
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommend that children should ride in a rear-facing position until they exceed the weight and height limit. Rear-facing is regarded as the safest position and the Graco SlimFit allows you to follow these recommendations with an extended 5 to 40-pound weight range for its rear-facing mode.
Many parents have commented on how safe and sturdy the Graco SlimFit 3-in-1 feels and that they are confident that their little one would be protected in the event of an accident. Overall, the Graco SlimFit is a safe, sturdy, durable and secure car seat, giving you peace of mind.
While the Graco SlimFit 3-in-1 Convertible car seat certainly does not lack in the amount of features and accessories it offers, we know that one’s experience with any car seat can always be improved. Here are a few highly rated accessories we have found and recommend:
In hot summers, most parents will have to turn on the AC in order to cool their child’s car seat down before they can buckle them in. This sunshade cover solves that issue immediately by keeping the car seat cool with its reflective and breathable material that lowers the car seat’s temperature. The cover is a universal fit that is designed to easily slip on and can be stored away in your handbag or car seat pockets.
This nifty little gadget is perfect for those sleepy munchkins whose heads often fall forward or to the side when sleeping. This head support strap is made of a comfortable and breathable fabric that can be slipped over your child’s head to ensure a safer and more secure sleep. This strap can also be used to keep the sun out of your child’s eyes. The strap itself comes in a variety of colors and patterns and is risk-free guaranteed, meaning that if you are not 100% satisfied you will be offered a full refund.
The Graco SlimFit 3-in-1 is often compared to another prominent car seat within the Graco family, the Graco Milestone All-in-1 Convertible car seat. Both are very similar except for a few minor differences in design and accessories.
For example, both include a number of common Graco features, such as the built-in harness storage compartment and various features to ensure easy, quick and secure installation, including the Simply Safe Adjust™ 5-point Harness System and the InRight LATCH attachment.
The main difference is that the SlimFit 3-in-1 has a sleek, space-saving design whereas the Milestone All-in-1 is not explicitly designed for this purpose. This makes the Graco SlimFit ideal for usage in small or compact cars as well as alongside other car seats in the backseat.
Below are some key features of the Graco Milestone All-in-1:
- 3-in-1 convertible car seat with 3 seating modes, including rear-facing, forward-facing mode and belt-positioning booster.
- 4 recline positions.
- Machine-washable seat cover.
- Steel reinforced frame.
- 1 removable cup holder.
- Cushion inserts for your child’s comfort.
The Good: Easy to install, Highly rated for safety, Built-in adjustable features to ensure a comfortable and secure fit for your child.
The Bad: Only 1 cup holder (as opposed to 2 with the SlimFit), Lack of recline options, Does not convert into a backless booster (neither does the SlimFit).
We are incredibly impressed with the Graco SlimFit 3-in-1 Convertible car seat and it is no wonder why it is so highly rated. Overall, the Graco SlimFit offers versatility, ease of use, safety, security, durability, comfort and value for money.
The Graco SlimFit includes all of the same great and much loved features included in other Graco models. However, with its sleek and space saving design the Graco SlimFit offers versatility and is ideal for families with small or compact cars or those who need to fit more than one car seat in the back seat.