Is the Clek Fllo Convertible Car Seat the stylish and sleek solution to saving space in your backseat? Read on for our detailed and comprehensive review as we unpack the pros and cons of the Clek Fllo and see how it compares to other convertible car seats within the market.
While there are plenty of fantastic convertible car seats on offer, they tend to be big and bulky, taking up precious and much-needed space in your backseat. For families requiring multiple car seats, space can be a deal-breaker when it comes to choosing a car seat.
The Clek Fllo is one of the most narrow and compact seats on the market and here is our quick summary:
- Highly rated for safety and security due to numerous built-in safety features.
- 9-year lifespan.
- Easy transformation between its rear-facing and forward-facing mode.
- Includes a steel anti-rebound bar for extra protection.
- Features GREENGUARD Select Certified Crypton Super Fabrics.
- Designed for extended use in the rear-facing position.
Check out what we believe is the best convertible seat here.
Clek is a Canadian owned and based company and their products are designed for and by parents. Clek is owned and operated by Chris Lumley, who as a parent himself, set out to design and manufacture car seats that delivered in terms of world-class safety without compromising convenience, functionality, and style.
Clek is an environmentally aware company, with their products being made of environmentally friendly materials. They also run a recycling program where you can recycle your expired, damaged or unusable Clek car seat.
What Are The Key Features of The Clek Fllo car seat?
The Clek Fllo Noire has a number of world-class features that contribute to not only its exceptional safety and security ratings but also it’s sleek and modern design that favors convenience, comfort, and ease of use. The Clek Fllo certainly has a lot of offer, including these key features:
- 2-in-1 convertible car seat, meaning there are two different seating modes (with different height and weight restrictions), including:
- A rear-facing mode.
- A forward-facing mode.
- FAA certified for use on an aircraft.
- LATCH connectors can be stored under the bottom of the seat.
- Energy-absorbing foam layers.
- Adjustable structural headrest.
- Steel anti-rebound bar.
- Designed for extended use in the rear-facing mode with a weight limit of 50lbs.
- Made with environmentally friendly materials.
- 9 years of usage.
- Integrated flip foot for easy rear-facing installation.
- 1-year manufacturer’s warranty (additional complimentary 2 years warranty if you register your car seat with Clek).
Will The Clek Fllo Convertible car seat Fit In Your Vehicle? The Specifications
The Clek Fllo has slightly different specifications depending on which seating mode it’s in, here we have provided you with the specifications for both of the Clek Fllo’s rear-facing and forward-facing positions:
- Rear-facing mode:
- Weight: 25 pounds (28lbs with anti-rebound bar)
- Height: 25.5-27 inches
- Fore-Aft Measurement: 29 inches (32.5in with anti-rebound bar)
- Depth: 12.5 inches
- Harness slot height: 8-17 inches
- Forward-facing mode:
- Base width: 13 inches
- Seat width: 16.9 inches
- Height: 26-31 inches
- Weight: 25 pounds
- Harness slot height: 8-17 inches
Measuring at only 16.9 inches wide, the Clek Fllo convertible car seat is one of the most narrow car seats on the market and specifically designed to fit three car seats across your vehicle’s back seat. This is a major deciding factor for parents who purchased the Clek Fllo and we have found from parent’s reviews that the Clek Fllo will comfortably fit most standard vehicles, including a Toyota Prius and a Subaru Forrester.
One thing to note is that the Clek Fllo is quite heavy at 25 pounds (28 pounds with the anti-rebound bar). This has both positives and negatives as its weight will prevent the Clek Fllo from moving side to side but may also make it difficult to transfer between vehicles.
Another thing worth mentioning is that while narrow, the Clek Fllo is quite long in the rear-facing mode as it requires 32.5in front to back and 25.5in in height. This length may reduce legroom for front-seat passengers, particularly in small or compact vehicles.
We recommend comparing your vehicle’s measurements to Clek Fllo’s specifications to ensure that the Clek Fllo is the right fit for you and your family.
Will Your Child Fit The Clek Fllo Convertible Car Seat?
The Clek Fllo is a car seat that is specifically designed to accommodate and support babies and toddlers for a safe, secure and comfortable ride. With a 9 year lifespan, the Clek Fllo can either be used for the one-child until they require a booster seat or for multiple children within the family.
To ensure that your child will fit the Clek Fllo convertible car seat we have provided the weight and height specifications for each Clek Fllo seating mode:
- Rear-facing mode: comfortably fits children within a weight range of 14 to 50 pounds and measuring between 25 and 43 inches in height. The minimum requirements for this mode is that your child is able to sit upright unassisted.
- Forward-facing mode: Suitable for kids weighing 22 to 65 pounds and within a height range of 30 to 49 inches. It is recommended that your child is at least 2 years old to ride in this position but the minimum age is 1 year old.
It is important to note that when used with an infant insert or what Clek calls an ‘infant-thingy’ (sold separately) the Clek Fllo can accommodate infants within a 5 to 19-pound weight range. This insert is also required for any child who is unable to sit upright in the car seat.
Is The Clek Fllo Car Seat Easy Is To Setup And Install?
Set up and installation of the Clek Fllo Convertible car seat is reportedly fairly easy to install with parents only experiencing a few minor hiccups.
The Clek Fllo can be installed either using the LATCH system or your vehicle’s seat belt. While both methods are easy, installation via the LATCH system may require a bit of elbow grease and muscle. Here we have provided some notes regarding installation with both methods:
LATCH system installation:
- LATCH connectors for the Clek Fllo are button style, which are easier to remove and connect compared to clip style.
- The Fllo includes a level indicator to help in finding the correct angle for installation.
- The Fllo’s recline angle adjustment located on the bottom of the seat assists in achieving the correct angle.
Seat belt installation:
- When installing in the rear-facing mode be sure to thread the seat belt through the bottom of the Fllo. This requires lifting the seat bottom and using the seat belt lock-offs. This method can be used with both a lap-only and a lap/shoulder belt.
- Forward-facing installation via the seat belt requires threading the seat belt and utilizing the side belt lock-offs. Please be sure to use the right lock-off depending on the directions and location of the car seat.
How Safe Is The Clek Fllo For Your Child?
Thanks to its industry-leading, world-class safety features, the Clek Fllo is one of the safest car seats on the market. Clek gives you peace of mind as your child’s safety and protection is their first priority but this does not compromise Clek Fllo’s comfort, ease of use and style.
If you’re wondering why the Clek Fllo is so highly rated in terms of the safety and security it provides, here are some of Clek Fllo’s impressive and unique safety features:
Steel anti-rebound bar: This is not a required safety feature, which means you won’t find it included with many other convertible car seats. However, it is an excellent safety feature that reduces both forward and backward movement of the car seat when involved in a crash. It does so by preventing rebound in a frontal collision and rotation movements in a side-impact collision.
Advanced side-impact protection: This in itself involves a number of features that are designed to protect your child in the event of a collision, including:
- Adjustable headrest with deep side wings that is lined with energy-absorbing foam. This headrest is connected to the car seat frame with steel rods to protect your child’s head in a side-impact collision.
- Energy-absorbing foam layers located in both the inside and outside of the frame, which absorbs energy in the event of a side-impact collision.
Energy-Absorbing Crumple Technology (EACT): Clek’s patented energy management system transfers the energy from the impact of a crash to aluminum honeycomb deformable cores located in the base of the car seat. This means force and energy from the impact of a collision is transferred from your child, meaning they will not absorb this energy.
The Clek Fllo is stylish and modern yet minimalistic in its design. Unlike other convertible car seats on the market, the Clek Fllo lacks additional features that make daily life that little bit easier, such as cup holders. Clek has produced a number of car seat accessories available on their website, here are a couple worth mentioning:
Appropriately named, the Clek drink-thingy is a cup holder that can be easily attached to both sides of your Fllo seat frame. The drink-thingy can hold your child’s bottle or juice box, snacks and crayons. This cup holder has been crash tested and approved for use in both the Clek Foonf and the Clek Fllo. What is most impressive is how easy to clean the drink-thingy is and it is also dishwasher safe.
The Clek mat-thingy is a seat protector that has been designed, crash tested and approved for use with all Clek car seats. It is a non-slip, waterproof mat that has raised edges to catch crumbs and liquids to protect your vehicle’s back seat and can be easily cleaned. The seat also features a seat guard to protect your car seat from your kid’s dirty shoes.
As an alternative option to the Clek Fllo, we will be looking at the Clek Foonf. These car seats are often compared, with parents choosing the Fllo over the Foonf and vice versa for a myriad of reasons.
The Clek Foonf is another convertible car seat designed to be a safe, durable, practical and comfortable car seat just like the Fllo. The major difference between the two is that the Foonf incorporates a forward-facing rigid-LATCH installation system. The Foonf is specially designed to be installed via this LATCH system.
Other than the Foonf’s rigid-LATCH installation system, there are not that many differences between the Fllo and the Foonf with identical weight and height specifications and similar safety features.
Here are some of the Clek Foonf’s key features:
- 2-in-1 convertible car seat, including both rear-facing and forward-facing modes.
- Forward-facing rigid-LATCH installation system.
- Anti-rebound bar.
- Energy-Absorbing Crumple Technology (EACT).
- Steel and magnesium sub-structure.
- Various fabric options depending on which of the 9 different colors you choose.
The Good: 3 recline positions, ensuring your child is comfortable and secure, Easy to install, Highly rated for its extensive safety features.
The Bad: No cup holders, Heavy, Cover and pads are non-removable for cleaning, spot clean only.
All in all, we are extremely impressed with the Clek Fllo Convertible Car Seat. From its slim and compact design to its exceptional safety features that prioritize your little one’s protection and security, the Clek Fllo is a great choice.
- Compact and narrow design.
- Exceptional safety features.
- Easy to install.
- Extended use in the rear-facing mode with a 50lb weight limit.
- Non-toxic fabric.
- No cup holders (have to buy separately).
- May reduce legroom for front-seat passengers due to its length in the rear-facing position.
- Cover and pads are non-removable for cleaning, spot clean only.
While its ease of use and accessories could be improved, the Clek Fllo surpasses its competition in terms of its safety and functionality, making it a car seat we definitely recommend.